Wednesday, April 29, 2009

3 states in 1 day!

Dear, dear followers, I am sorry I have neglected you for so long, but I have been utterly exhausted!  It’s not easy driving across the prairies for 10 to 12 hours a day.  And now I am nursing the beginnings of a sinus infection!  I have not, however, been lacking for food experiences, however, and I promise to catch you up from the last two days. (Pictures will be added as soon as we get some reliable internet!)

On Monday, we spent most of our day finishing our drive across Nebraska, and then through Iowa to Nauvoo, IL.  Nauvoo is the last place that the Latter-day Saints (Mormons) lived before going to the Rocky Mountains and ending up in Utah.  I can’t help but think, as I see Nauvoo, that they had to have been really, really disappointed in seeing the Salt Lake Valley after living in Nauvoo.  But more on that later.  We’re currently on our way to the Second City, Windy City – whatever you call it, it’s a city I love – Chicago!

Sunday night in North Platte left us with few choices for dinner, and I am embarrassed to say we ate at Perkins.  It  was okay, just average.  I had soup and salad.  After all of that traveling, I just wasn’t hungry.  So enough of my confession.  I promise you it gets better.

The next day we stopped for lunch in Lincoln, NE.  Breakfast at the hotel was actually quite decent, as we could make waffles and there was plenty of juice and some really good hot chocolate.  As we cruised O Street (yes, that’s really the name of the main drag), we decided a sub would satisfy us, and we saw a little place called Mr. Goodcents, which featured subs and pastas.  Maybe it was just our appetites, but it really hit the spot.  Yes, it was subs, like Subway but the meat was sliced after you ordered.  You could choose from white, wheat or garlic pepper bread, and from six cheeses.   I was surprised that there were a lot of Italian type choices were offered.  They also had a small sub called a “Satisfier” which is what I had, for only $2.89, and it was just the right size.  You could get any of their subs in this size, and I decided on turkey.  Tara had an Italian with ham, salami and cappicola.  We were extremely pleased with this place.  The prices were reasonable, the food was fresh, the service was extremely friendly.  They also offer a few pasta dishes, including Chicken Parmesan, which I did not try but I think would have been very good. Mr. Goodcents is a chain, with 3 stores in Lincoln and more across Nebraska and Kansas.   Throughout Nebraska there is also a chain called Runza’s – you’ll see them all over.  They specialize in pierogies, which they call runzas in Nebraska.  If you have the choice between Runza’s and Mr. Goodcents, take Mr. Goodcents.  Their website is mrgoodcents.com

For dinner, I finally got to go to a place actually featured on TV.  Yes, I like to stalk places recommended by food shows!  The plan was actually to go to a place in the Amana Colonies called the Ox Yoke, recommended by my friend Shannon Bartholomew, who used to live in nearby Iowa City.  But halfway through Iowa, we were hungry and just plain sick of the rain.  Not just rain – pouring rain.  We had been driving in some sort of precipitation since Sunday, and now it was just unrelenting.  So I suggested we eat at a place called the Iowa Machine Shed, which was in Urbandale, kind of a suburb of Des Moines (translation: some Moines).  I had heard about these giant cinnamon rolls they were famous for, plus I was just itching for some fried chicken.  So we found it, very easily I might add.  It was 4:00, so the place was empty – and we got the last cinnamon roll of the day.  So we actually had it warmed up and ate it as an appetizer.  It actually wasn’t a roll – it was more of a loaf ,  But it was big – we saved the rest for breakfast for the next day.   It was pretty good, it probably would have been better if it had been fresh, but I have to say – I’ve made cinnamon rolls before that were actually better.  I don’t want to brag, and after all, I don’t have to make a humongous amount to feed the masses, but there it is.  Anyway, I had my fried chicken for dinner, and I think the Colonel’s is better, even though the menu description of the chicken told the Colonel to move over.  It was also served with “family style” (translation, two small bowls, which were not refilled, as I thought they would be) of cottage cheese and cole slaw, both very fresh and helpful for my calcium and veggie daily requirements.  Tara had the fried chicken salad, which was just crispy pieces of chicken over a salad with cheese, eggs, etc.  it was big, she couldn’t finish it, but we did manage to put away a big ol’ piece of chocolate cream pie to end our meal, which was very good.  I also had a ginormous sweet potato with my chicken, which our waiter, Randy, was hesitant to give me, for some reason.  He was supposed to ask me which side dish I wanted, but never did, and then he brought out mashed potato.  I asked for a sweet (this girl needs her beta carotene) and he gave me attitude, even though the menu clearly stated I had a choice.  So he took it back and brought back a sweet.  All in all, I thought it was pretty pricey.  The meal came to $27 before the tip, and the food wasn’t really anything special.  But, as you recall, I wanted to see for myself if some of these places were really as good as they say, and I found out for myself that this one wasn’t.

Then on through Ottumwa, Iowa, home of Corporal Radar O’Reilly from M*A*S*H (I’m trying to mix in some pop culture stuff here), about three more hours driving (through more rain) to get to Nauvoo. Cute little motel with a little hospitality suite with hot drinks and cookies anytime you want them.  We rolled in late and a cup of herbal tea (with a Fig Newton) set me up very nicely for the night.

Since this is primarily a blog about food, I won’t bore you with the details about our trip to Nauvoo.  Think of it as kind of a Mecca for Mormons.  Not that we have to go there, but most Mormons do at some point, because there is something indescribably special about the place.  There is a spot where you can stand and look across the Mississippi River, and it is the spot where the exodus to Utah began.  I cannot stand on that spot without thinking about what those people went through as they were being exterminated (literally) from their homes and the beautiful city they had built.  So many of them didn’t even make it to the Salt Lake Valley, they died along the trail.  My eyes kept going back to the beautiful temple on the hill, an exact replica of the one they left to be destroyed by mobs in 1846.

We ate lunch at a cute little bakery in town, called Nauvoo Mill and Bakery, with good fresh sandwiches and soup, with great prices.  Tara was able to see her friend from BYU, Meghan, who is serving a mission in Nauvoo, so that was very exciting for her.  Even more exciting was being able to eat dinner at Bennigan’s.  She loves the Monte Cristo, and we don’t have Bennigan’s in Rochester anymore, so it was a thrill for her.  This Monte Cristo is deep fried – it comes out on the plate looking more like a fish fry than a sandwich.  So we split one sandwich and I couldn’t even eat all of my half.  I think I am completely over the Bennigan’s Monte Cristo, and as good as it is, I think I will never need to eat one again in my lifetime.

No comments: