Tuesday, April 21, 2009

GoodTimes (literally) on the Road


We are now well out of Colorado Springs, into the Rockies, where the scenery is much better! We also gave Gabby a British accent, just for a little variety in our lives. Now Kevin is fooling around with all of the different languages on the GPS. As you can see, we are desperate for entertainment!

Well, we ended up NOT going to Conway's Red Top! Not because it was closed, but because my friend Lynnel said the food wasn't really all that great. She said the hamburgers, though on a giant bun, were actually paper thin. So instead I spotted a place called "The Elephant Bar" and we decided to try that. After a short, ten minute wait while we studied the menu, I still couldn't decide what to get! Huge menu with lots
 of unique choices. Kevin took no time at all -- he spotted the Thai-high chicken salad and that was it for him, he didn't look any further. Must be nice to be so confident in your food choices, never wondering if you made the right choice, if there's something better on the horizon . . .

Bonus for the Kevster was the fact that sweet potato fries were on the menu. Lynnel decided on salmon, the catch of the day, and I ended up ordering the Crispy Chicken Teriyaki. Kevin also had a bowl of Chicken Noodle Soup. Kevin ate well last night. Everyone was happy with their meal except, admittedly, me. The waitress said the Crispy Chicken Teriyaki was one of the most popular dishes on the menu, but I gotta tell ya, it was way too salty, even for someone like me, who picks up the salt shaker as soon as she sits down to a meal (last night, that was not the case, however). Even Kevin and Lynnel agreed that it was too salty. Oh well, there was lots of it and it was served with rice. The chicken noodle soup was very good, Kevin just wished there were more of it. It was a good, tasty broth with thick noodles -- all tasted like homemade to Kevin. The sweet potato fries were excellent. They were thin and crispy, with a "Sczechwan dipping sauce" that I expected to be spicy, but actually tasted like ketchup with a little chili sauce mixed in, making it rather sweet. I make sweet potato fries often at home, and I think they're pretty good, but these were equally as good. Lynnel's salmon was cooked just right, with just enough of a, believe it or not, macadamia nut sauce on top. She loved it. Kevin loved his salad -- any time Kevin can get anything remotely related to Thai food he's happy.

We refused dessert, claiming to be full, but, of course, as soon as we got in the car I decided I wanted ice cream. Lynnel said there was a new frozen custard place in town, so we headed there. The place was called GoodTimes, and the flavor of the day was Cherry Valentine. I didn't know what the Valentine part was all about, but I was all over cherry flavored custard, so we got three cones only $1 each) and enjoyed every lick! The valentine part turned out to be little dark chocolate hearts filled with cherry cream. Oh my gosh, that was custard worth getting fat for!



Lynnel made us a wonderful breakfast of aebleskivers, which are pancakes shaped like balls, made in a special little pan. They were extremely good, I plan on getting one of those pans and making these in the very near future. Then off through the Rockies, finally, to Utah! No big plans for lunch, so we wound our way uneventfully, through to Grand Junction, where we stopped to eat. Kevin wanted a burger and I just wanted some ice cream (there's a surprise!), so Gabby volunteered some information 
about a place called Soda Jack's which seemed like it would fit the bill. Problem was, Gabby took us to a place that didn't exist -- really! She kept saying "You have reached your destination!" and we kept saying "No we haven't!" so we went a couple of blocks further and lo and behold, a GoodTimes! The sign actually says "Burgers and Frozen Custard".  Could anything be more perfect? Today's flavor was Oregon Blackberry -- try to stop me from getting a waffle cone of that! Kevin was actually disappointed in his burger -- it was dry and tasteless. But actually, we were in the car, on our way, and I opened the bag and not only was Kevin's burger there, but there were two bags of fries and a chicken sandwich! They had given us the wrong order! We tried to call them, but Gabby didn't have the phone number, so we ended up getting free food.

After finally, finally getting to Provo at 6:30 (after going through more desert than any human should ever have to see), we picked up Tara and headed to the place I was looking forward to, Chuck-a-Rama buffet. We actually call it Up-Chuck-a-Rama. Affectionately, of course. I love the scones (which are actually fried dough) and the fried chicken. I have to say, after tonight's experience, I'm pretty much done with Chuck-a-Rama. Which is a good thing, since I don't know when I'll ever come back west. I mean, it was okay, and being with Tara was great, but I just don't think I'll miss Chuck-a-Rama anymore. I guess I'm growing up. In any case, I'm definitely growing out.

1 comment:

Tami said...

I have an aebleskiver pan that I bought in California last summer. I haven't used it yet, but the aebleskivers that I had there for lunch were delicious!!