Saturday, April 18, 2009

On the Road with Tuck and Trooper -- finally!

So after feeding Tuck (my car) last night, we hit the road at 8:20 this morning. Woo hoo! Now we're riding down the road with Gabby (the GPS -- sorry Dan, we gave her a name), Billy Joel, George Strait, and Trooper (my stuffed Siberian Husky -- see my profile). We weren't really advenurous for breakfast, because I decided I would be starving by the time we hit the Golden Corral in Erie, and I would just be whining about how starving I was. So, instead we decided to pay homage to one of my favorite places in Rochester and go to the Village Coal Tower in Pittsford. I know an awful lot of , local people who have never heard of this place, so I'm trying to spread the gospel of the Coal Tower. It may not be roadfood for me and of my followers, but it's roadfood for somebody out there in cyberland!

I don't know why I love this place so much -- it's a combination of the atmosphere -- it's a gathering place for everyone in Pittsford, much like our beloved Riki's in Fairport. Kevin, as a matter of fact, comes here often on weekday mornings to meet clients. The waitresses know him -- it's just that kind of place. the friendly service, the extensive menu and the reasonable prices. The food is always good -- not gourmet, not the best I've ever had, but I'm never disappointed. There's so much to choose from and the portions are huge. As I mentioned, the menu is so huge -- I always have trouble choosing what to eat, and it always seems to me that I find something new every time I go. They do make an excellent Reuben, one of the things I would have for my last meal if I were being executed in the morning. And where else can you get a turkey dinner complete with stuffing, potaoes and vegetable for about 8 bucks? And if you're in for lunch or dinner, save room for some pie -- they always have about 15 kinds available, and for you coconut cream pie aficianados (Lydelle, I'm a-talkin' to you), theirs is one of the best around.

At breakfast time, however, I know exactly what to order -- the Barge. It wasn't on the blackboard menu when we got there, but Kevin asked our waitress, Lizzy (who is just freakin' adorable, and has been working there for 10 years) if I could have one, and she said "Sure, I can have them make one for you!" Yay! The Barge is a huge portion of homefries covered with two (or maybe three) strips of bacon, cheddar cheese and topped with eggs over easy (or medium), with Texas toast. It's only $5.59, and of course, Kevin had to help me with it -- after eating three potato pancakes with sausage. As Guy Fieri would say, it's money!!! Kevin's potato pancakes were also yummy, served wth applesauce and sour cream. He did try some syrup on them, and decided he liked them better that way.

When it's time to pay (cash only -- no checks), grab a Dum-Dum Pop from the basket by the register. You sure don't need it, but you have to have it! It's like the mints they leave on your pillow after you've been stuffing your face all day on a cruise -- "I'm stuffed! Oh, there's a mint on the pillow!" (Fight for mint ensues). But the Dum-Dums are part of the charm -- especially if you take the mystery flavor and you hold on to it for a couple of hours until you just can't stand the suspense any longer. It's a sad way to entertain yourself, but we have to remember that I'm a peasant.

The Village Coal Tower is located on Schoen Place in Pittsford.

No comments: