Saturday, April 18, 2009

Karen vs. Food

Turns out that the place I wanted to hit in Cleveland, Slyman’s, was really out of our way, so after a few roundabout turns (thank heaven for Gabby), we decided to go back to the place where we were supposed to go south toward Columbus, where I had spotted a Texas Roadhouse. Yes, it’s a chain, but we don’t have one near us, so it counts as roadfood to us. A shout goes out to Dan C., owner of our borrowed GPS, who loves the place and told me we had to visit. Heck, by this time it was 1:30 and I was hankerin’ for some grub, if you catch my drift.

Well, the hankerin’ is over now. Kevin had stopped here once on his way back from Columbus and had a T-bone. He brought some of it home to me and it was one of the most tender, juicy steaks I ever had. And we’re talking about a warmed up steak!! The website announced that they had 10 specials at $7.99, so I was all over that! Unfortunately, dear readers, we both got the same special – 6 oz. sirloin with sautéed onions and mushrooms and a baked sweet potato slathered with cinnamon honey butter. Kevin actually had our waitress, Charlie (adorable) hold up the plates and so he could take a picture. The only difference was that Kevin had a salad and I had broccoli—we’re certainly not getting our fiber from steak. Kevin also slathered steak sauce all over his steak, but I saw no point in that, because the steak (medium rare) was so tender and juicy it needed no trimmings. We also had a baby blossom (think smaller blooming onion) for an appetizer. Yum. Now, sometimes, a girl just has to have her beef. As a matter of fact, I am seriously considering putting “Beef: It’s What Real Women Need” on my headstone. And I do not regret my choice for an instant. But add to the sirloin all the other stuff, including fresh, made from scratch rolls with cinnamon honey butter – and it’s now pretty much over for the day for me. I can’t even look at restaurant signs right now!

I could go for some ice cream though. There’s always room for ice cream, that is my motto. I’ll start looking for some Steak ‘n’ Steak signs. I’m still a Steak ‘n’ Shake virgin.

Incidentally, check out the cow in front of Chick-Fil-A in Erie, PA. If they make a stuffed version of this cow, it will be showing up in my kitchen shortly.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

That sweet potato with cinnamon honey butter looks really good! I hope your trip is going well. I agree with you about the Chick-Fil-A cow. It is very cute.

Laura said...

I love sweet potatoes and At Ruby River steak house in Provo they serve up a really yummy one! My mouth is watering just thinking about it.